Camino de Santiago de Compostela ( The Way of St James ) is a tour that is different from all the other PortugalBike Tours. This is not a touristic tour like the other PortugalBike Tours, where we ride along awesome places and spectacular views.
On this tour we follow the way to Santiago de Compostela, a city located in Galicia, a province in the north of Spain. This way is very mystic, full of positive energy, of belief and of faith. This is a way that has been covered by thousands and thousands of pilgrims along the centuries since the 9th century. We cannot say that there is only “one” way (“camino”) to Santiago de Compostela. There are several, because the idea is to get to the Cathedral in Santiago de Compostela. This way was originally covered on foot by devote pilgrims, beggars, clergymen and nobles; it is still covered today not only on foot but also by bicycle by people from all over the world and for many different reasons. It follows off-road trails, narrow roads and footpaths, always in a straight line when possible in order to make the way as short as possible to get to Santiago de Compostela.
This PortugalBike Tour takes us along the Portuguese Way to Santiago. We start in Guimarães (a medieval town also known as the "Birthplace of Portuguese Nation") towards Ponte de Lima, known as the Central Way (Caminho Central), and than we continue along the Medieval Way (Caminho Medieval) to Santiago de Compostela, in Spain. This tour covers innumerous paths and trails, ancient Roman roads, dense woods, crosses small stone bridges, covers footpaths and roads among small houses, crosses streams and mountains… Many sections of the original way have been asphalted and civilized, …but it is still “O Camino de Santiago de Compostela” (The Way of St James).
1. Braga: the oldest Portuguese city and one of the most ancient Christian cities in the world
2. Feeling the mystic atmosphere along the way
3. Adventure, Art and Mysticism
4. Churches and religious symbols everywhere
5. The way covered by pilgrims since the 9th century.
6. The medieval architecture in Ponte de Lima
7. The fortified town of Valença
8. Guimarães - the medieval town known as the "birthplace of the Portuguese Nation"
9. The rich gastronomy and the famous wine of the region: vinho verde
10. The Romanic Cathedral in Santiago
Class: Historic Tour
Regions of Portugal: North of Portugal (Minho) and Spain (Galicia)
Duration: 7 days / 6 days / 5 days cycling
Begin: Guimarães (Minho)
End: Santiago de Compostela (Galicia)
Overall difficulty level: Advanced. You are fit and in good shape
Distance: 219km (136mi)
Average: 44km/day (27mi/day)
Trails: 38% dirt-roads - 62% asphalt.
- 7-day Mountain Bike Tour with a Guide (*)
- Transfers from and to Oporto Airport (or Lisbon airport)
- Accommodations (6 nights): 2 Pousadas (one 12th century Monastery and one 17th century Fortress), 2 four* Historic Hotels (one 16th century Monument Hotel and one 18th century Historic building), 2 four* modern Hotels. Double bedroom occupancy.
- 6 Breakfasts
- 4 nourishing and energetic picnics (*)
- 6 Dinners (including our famous wines, our amazing cheeses and lovely desserts) (*)
- Daily energy-bars and water (*)
- Luggage transport from Hotel to Hotel
- Documentation about PortugalBike Tour
- Liability Insurance
- Personal Accident Insurance
- Techno-Mechanical Assistance (*)
- First-Aid assistance on location (*)
- Permanent Backup Vehicle (*)
(*) Not included in Self-Guided Tours